Friday, March 26, 2010

The Island of many names and wonders...

Easter Island
Isla de Pescua
Rapa Nui

I am posting alot of pictures, because I took a lot... and it was hard to narrow them down. E. Island truely is an incredible place, both in scenery and in history. I spent a lot of time touring the island, to see the multitude of Moai statues (there are over 900 on the island thas only 18km long!), pictographs and ruins... but I also spent a good ammount of time swimming in the ocean and laying on the beach. It was an excelent vacation from my vacation.







Moai in mid construction from the quarry (the only one on the island)at Rno Raraku.


The unique knealing Moai, the only statue on the island that is not in a standing position. Tongariki is in the background (15 Moai standing together in a line).






Ovahe... Incredible PINK sand beach. This photo does not do it justice.


Lava tube cave that ends in a cliff over the ocean


I signed up tp go fishing.. assuming it would involve a pole and a reel. Wrong! I learned how to fish with a net and a snorkel, it was great and we got lots of fish, that we ate for lunch.


One of the fish that I netted!


I got covered in traditional cerimonial paint after I learned the traditional way to fish.


One of the pictographs at the swimming spot.


Boats in the harbor at sunset


Really nice swimming area complete with palm trees and pictographs.


Sunset looking out of the harbor in Hanga Roa


A moai statue in the center of the only town on the island, Hanga Roa... with a bird on it's head.

1 comment:

  1. The picture of Meryl in island garb is priceless

    ReplyDelete